Earth Day is celebrated worldwide in April and in Catalonia Hotels & Resorts we celebrated it with our guests, remembering that the planet and its ecosystems not only give life to us but also to future generations.
According to the official website of the United Nations, Earth Day is celebrated to recognize “the collective responsibility to foster harmony with nature and Mother Earth, in order to strike the right balance between the economic, social and environmental needs of the present and future generations.”
The origin of Earth Day goes back to the year 1970 when an environmental movement began in the United States that caused the struggle of millions of people to fight for a healthier environment. This day offers to Catalonia Hotels & Resorts the opportunity to show awareness to all of our guests of the problems that affect Earth and the different forms of life that develop here. In this sense, we set ourselves the task of celebrating this day through different actions:
• A group of volunteers within our staff of collaborators in Catalonia Bavaro Beach, woke up early to take to the streets around the hotel to collect waste, sorting them and placing them in separate bags to be recycled.
• In the morning we showed an educational environmental documentary in one of our conference rooms since it is not only about doing actions, it is also important to understand why it is necessary to do them and to be aware of what we should do for our planet.
• At the pool area, our guests gathered to receive from one of our chefs a live tutorial on how to prepare delicious drinks based on fruits and vegetables. Some had the opportunity to demonstrate what they learned by making more drinks for everyone!
• Simultaneous to this activity, children also celebrated Earth Day by demonstrating their artistic talent. They painted bottles that could be used to decorate, like a vase or simply a fun souvenir of their stay with us.
• Another activity was planting trees in the resort’s gardens. We invited some guests who felt motivated to plant their trees and leave a mark of their ecological action. “Trees are a cure for many environmental problems. Not only are they world’s lungs, they are the world’s air conditioning.”
• As every celebration in our paradise is a party, we organized the Coco Party, where we dance to Caribbean rhythms. On our beach we shared cocktails served in coconuts and, as always, the guests gave the true flavor of the Caribbean moment.
Finally, in Catalonia Hotels & Resorts, we want every inhabitant of this Earth to assume their responsibility with our mother earth and think globally, acting locally, in other words, to help the planet in general by contributing with activities in your daily environment.
Here we propose some actions with which you can help much more than you think.
- Disconnect any electronic devices you are not using at the moment.
- Recycle, reuse and reduce.
- Turn off the tap, turn off the lights. Do not waste resources.
- Change the light bulbs for the low consumption ones, doing this, you will save money from the electricity bill too.
- Do not destroy nature, this action is the simplest of all.
The simplest advice we can give you is to make every day a tribute to our planet, and there is no better way to achieve it than to commit ourselves daily to it.
In our resorts at the Riviera Maya, Mexico, we also celebrated this day with many activities to which we invited guests.
For example, in Catalonia Royal Tulum, Catalonia Riviera Maya and Catalonia Playa Maroma, we did beach cleaning, besides reforestation activities where, together with the guests, 120 plants were planted and we gave seeds to our guests. We also promoted the sale of handcrafted products in stores and Alegría Spa services.
With this celebration, we accept the collective responsibility to foster harmony with nature and Mother Earth in order to reach the right balance between the economic, social and environmental needs of present and future generations.